Preservation Utah’s Historic Homes Tour is in Yalecrest! Sat. 4/22/17

2017 Historic Homes Tour: Yalecrest

Douglas Park 13 15 E 800 900 S 1913The Douglas Park subdivision during its creation in 1913.

46th Annual

Historic Homes Tour

Saturday, April 22, 2017

10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

This year’s Historic Homes Tour will be in the Yalecrest neighborhood, more specifically the Douglas Park subdivision and the surrounding area. Click the links below for more information:

Purchase Tickets

Sponsorship Opportunities


$20 per person–Advance ticket price to non-members and day-of price for Preservation Utah members

$25 per person–Day-of price for non-members
All persons who walk must have a ticket.  All tickets are in the form of our tour brochure and wristband, with which you may enter each home on the tour.  We do not mail the brochures or wristbands prior to the event, and all advance and day-of ticket purchasers must pick up their tour brochure(s) and wristbands at our tour headquarters before going on the tour.  The tour is an all-weather, rain-or-shine event and there are no refunds for unused tickets.

Tour Information

Tour attendees should be aware of the following before going on the tour:

  • None of the homes are wheelchair accessible, and all have stairs.  Attendees should watch their step around and in all parts of homes.
  • Attendees will be provided shoe covers to be worn inside all homes.
  • Pets are not allowed inside homes.
  • All homes are private residences and are only available to tour during the time and day of our tour.  We will not reveal the names of the homeowners, nor we will reveal the addresses of homes prior to the tour.
  • Photography is permitted only outside the homes and is prohibited inside.
  • Attendees are not required to visit all the homes, and may go to each home at their leisure during open hours.

Headquarters and Parking

The tour headquarters will be at the Yale Ward building, located at 1431 E. Gilmer Dr. Limited parking is available at in the ward parking lot and on street parking is available in the surrounding area.


2017 Annual K.E.E.P. Yalecrest Meeting

K.E.E.P. Yalecrest hosted its annual meeting on April 1st, and it was a fantastic event. No foolin’.  Members and Board Members gathered at the house of Heidi and Scott Ingham. We shared food, drink and great comradery. KEEP’s accomplishments, goals and future endeavors were presented.






 The Pritchetts won the raffle, books in hand!


An unexpected highlight of the evening was when Constance Crompton (center) revealed that her uncle, John Boyden Sr.  built Scott and Heidi Ingham’s (our hosts) home in 1935/36. He and his wife Orpha, had four children (John, Steve, Carmen, Paul). They hatched chickens in the basement boiler room then kept them in the garage and used the south sunroom to start flowers from seed. John Boyden was twice a gubernatorial candidate. This house is currently described as a Colonial revival, however it was not built in this style originally. John undertook a major renovation (including the massive brick wall on the south side of the property) in the 1960s. Constance, a Yalecrest resident and member of KEEP Yalecrest, shared childhood stories and memories from the house.









Constances uncle was instrumental in representing the Native Americans. These tiles in the basement fireplace are remarkable! And a testament to his commitment to the tribes. Thank you to Scott and Heidi for opening your house for this event!













2016 Heritage Awards from Preservation Utah (previously Utah Heritage Foundation)

This post is from Preservation Utah’s (previously Utah Heritage Foundation) website. Heritage Awards 2016.

Logo Lock Up Color crop

K.E.E.P. Yalecrest – Accomplishments in Historic Preservation


“K.E.E.P.” is an acronym for “Keep Educating and Encouraging Preservation” and that is exactly the mission in which members of this organization excel.  Composed of residents from the Yalecrest neighborhood of Salt Lake City, this all-volunteer organization advocates to preserve, protect, and educate their neighborhood. Yalecrest has one of the highest number of historic buildings within a National Register historic district in the state, with a remarkable 91% contributing structures within thousands of buildings.

However, the neighborhood has experienced significant development pressure that has resulted in teardowns and incompatible infill. Their education outreach presents opportunities for residents to participate in workshops by industry professionals that include: tax credit workshops, lectures on sustainability/renovation, masonry restoration work, historic windows, and earthquake retrofitting.

They have shown the community the value of their neighborhood by hosting several walking tours highlighting the diversity of historic architecture within Yalecrest as well as contributing in the development of processes adopted by the Salt Lake City Council in determining how local historic districts are created.

K.E.E.P.’s board and members have been directly involved in submission of the first ten local distoric district applications, successfully attaining four local historic district designations within Yalecrest with more pending. SLC Planning has even commended K.E.E.P. Yalecrest for the quality and thoroughness of these applications.

From their informational blog to advocacy at the State Legislature, K.E.E.P Yalecrest has quickly moved from a grassroots collective to a formidable organization with growing influence. Members of K.E.E.P. have a focused passion on raising awareness of the importance of preservation and the part it plays in the sustainability of our communities.


Winter 1916-1917

It was the week before Christmas and it just kept snowing every day!  After all the snow, came the wind and the cold.  This created quite a challenge for Yalecrest residents and the entire city of Salt Lake.  What was it like here 100 years ago????   Here is a glimpse from the papers:


The City hired extra laborers to help with the snow.  Unemployed men, and those looking for some extra cash, got work shoveling downtown.  Wagonloads of snow taken from the sidewalks and gutters of the business district would first get deposited on State Street between 100 and 200 South.  Later that snow would be hauled off and dumped into a canal near 13th South or transferred on freight cars to North Salt Lake.  The snow wasn’t removed from the main part of the roads.  The expectation was an upcoming thaw would allow them to “flush” the streets later.  Snow plows drawsnow_and_auto_in_front_of_studebaker_brothers_mar1917n by horses went over the sidewalks in residential areas.

Thaddeus Naylor (the guy that sold us land for Uintah School, whose half-brother would later live at 1715 Harvard Ave) wasn’t very happy with all the snow and congestion in front of his shop on State St.  It made it more difficult for him to sell studebakers.  He threatened the City with injunction proceedings.

Herbert Auerbach (remember Auerbach’s store?) came to the rescue.  He offered his field just north of the City County Building as a big dumping ground for the snow.  This saved the City a big chunk of money… and made business owners on State Street happy.


The long and steady snowfall resulted in the streetcar rails becoming slippery with ice and snow.  By Dec 21st every streetcar line in SLC was experiencing difficulties.  It was becoming the worst storm the City had seen in 42 years.  Initially, the snow was wet and heavy.   Precipitation got lighter, but a full day of winds averaging 30 mph didn’t help.  Huge snowdrifts developed.  The tramway company’s plows and sweeper cars couldn’t keep up.  Travel slowed.  Derailments occurred.  You couldn’t make it up the hill.  Yalecrest’s 15th East streetcar line went out of commission.  Same with the line to Fort Douglas.  Emigration Canyon reported drifts between 15 and 40 feet deep.

They say automobiles contributed to the streetcars’ problems.  As soon as a sweeper car would go by the autos would jump on the tracks, seeing them as their only thoroughfare.  The auto tires would push more snow onto the rails and then pack it down to form ice which could lift the streetcars off the rails.  It was sometimes hard for the sweeper cars to get around the derailed cars.

Yalecrest resident Edward Ashton and a couple other builder/realtor guys approached the City Commissioners insisting that the City help fix the streetcar problems.  The Commissioners wanted to help, but they weren’t sure they could use taxpayer money to aid a private company.  They needed time to look into the matter.  Eventually they did loan City equipment because they believed mass transit was vital to SLC.  One called it “the poor man’s means of transportation.”



It wasn’t until Jan 5th that the City could begin clearing the streets in the neighborhoods… because they had loaned their equipment to the Utah Light & Traction Company.  Even with half-loads on their horse teams, coal distributers said they had an especially hard time getting up the hills on the east side, but said the public was “very charitable in the way of criticism.”



In Utah and across the country people were talking a lot about problems with coal delivery and the fear of a shortage.  The issue in SLC had a lot to do with the recent weather.  It increased demand and caused transportation problems for trains bringing in the coal and for the dealers delivering it.  Some citizens struggled for heat.  Poor people couldn’t afford to buy a lot at once, they had no reserves.  Some wealthier folks didn’t have an immediate need but kept ordering and hoarding it, according to some dealers.  Dealers also blamed the railroads and producers for not giving them enough.  Producers blamed the railroads.  The railroads in turn blamed the dealers saying the dealers got their coal but weren’t distributing it properly.  People were complaining and pointing fingers everywhere… which brought in the State Legislature.  Was the problem with the railroads, the coal producers, the distributers, the City?  How can this problem be avoided in the future?


On Tues morning Jan 9th, Uintah Elementary kids were told to turn around and go back home because there wasn’t enough coal to heat the classrooms.  A truck hauling 4 tons of coal had gotten stuck in a snow drift not far away.

About a week later, the East Bench experienced a blizzard that canceled school for the Uintah
kids and created a very dramatic scene over at East High.   Yalecrest resident and math teacher John Cathcart (1555 E 900 South) along with other teachers and the stronger schoolboys formed “rescue parties” that ventured out into the freezing wind and snow to save the lives of those struggling across two blocks on 13th East between the stalled streetcars and the school.  Part of East High was converted into an emergency room.  Doctors were called to the school.  The doctors phoned the police asking them to “Send out some whiskey.  The children are freezing.”  whiskey

The cops rushed to the school.  Other teachers and students were put to work rubbing snow on the hands, feet and ears of the frozen rescued students.


reservoir_13the_nov1936The City’s water supply began to dwindle after too many nights where the low was in the single digits.  The City Commissioners contemplated a $500 fine(!!) for those caught wasting water, leaving their taps open to prevent their pipes from freezing.  Mayor Ferry put out a proclamation begging good citizens to use water sparingly and not waste it at night.  But two of the City’s reservoirs, including the one on 13th East, went dry because of frozen canyon streams and all the water wasting.  Almost a quarter of the City was without water, homes on East South Temple and in the higher elevations.

If the pipes were empty where you lived, you needed to open your hot water taps to allow steam to escape.  If not, you could have an explosion in your home.  The latter is what happened to Yalecrest resident Royal Wight (932 S. 15th East)  when he was building a fire in his kitchen stove and the heat from the fire forced steam through the frozen water jacket.  Royal was temporarily knocked unconscious when a part of the stove hit him in the head during the explosion.

–Kelly Marinan

Photos:  Used by permission, Utah State Historical Society, all rights reserved.

  • Studebaker Bros Co on State St, Mar 1917.
  • Jeffery Distributing Co coal trucks, Dec 12, 1916.
  • Wasatch Coal Co teams in yard, Feb 1917.
  • Reservoir on 13th East, Nov 1936.

12-20-1916, Salt Lake Herald, “Snowfall Boon to Jobless of City”.
12-21-1916, SL Herald, “T.W. Naylor Protests”.
12-22-1916, SL Herald, “Street Cars Impeded by Heavy Snowfall”.
12-25-1916, SL Tribune, “Traffic Is Delayed by Furious Storms”.
12-27-1916, SL Tribune, “Storm King Hits City Another Knockout Blow”.
12-27-1916, SL Telegram, “Snow Dumped in Field”.
12-28-1916, SL Herald, “Salt Lake Shivers at Six Above”.
12-29-1916, SL Herald, “Mountain of Snow in Auerbach Field Testifies to Storm”.
12-29-1916, SL Telegram, “More Car Lines are Operating; Better Weather Clears Tracks”.
1-1-1917, SL Telegram, “Snowfall Heaviest Since that of 1874”.
1-5-1917, SL Tribune, “Clearing of Snow is Costly to City”.
1-9-1917, SL Tribune, “Snow Holds Back Coal Deliveries”.
1-9-1917, SL Telegram, “School Closed as Fuel Runs Short”.
1-16-1917, SL Telegram, “Corps of Doctors Rush to Aid of School”.
1-17-1917, SL Tribune, “Coal Jams Yards, Railroad Man Says”.
1-17-1917, SL Tribune, “Snow Blast Traps 200 at East High, Students Escape Death in Blizzard”.
1-17-1917, SL Telegram, “Wasting of City Water Deplored”.
1-17-1917, SL Tribune, “Four Hurt when Frozen Pipes Burst”.
1-18-1917, SL Telegram, “Scarcity of Water Imperils City”.

Revisiting a Princeton Porcelain Bathroom

One of KEEP Yalecrests first blog posts was a collage of original bathroom tiles from Princeton Park local historic district  .During the Princeton annual December progressive dinner party one resident unveiled their newly remodeled bathroom. They retained their original tile and complemented it with additional and incredible tile work. The art of tile laying is truly apparent. The collage shows the yellow and black original tile; middle of collage third down from top.


The yellow tile band that capped the top of the decorative black and yellow tile had to be removed and is now topped by the black tile.img_7901

The previously untiled arched shower is now a work of art; proving tile laying is a master craft.





Tile work in the 1920’s and 30’s was a selling point for Yalecrest homes; below is an ad from Albert Toronto who designed and built several homes in Princeton Park.


Deconstruction Salvage Seminar

Back in November we held a seminar on recycling and reusing materials when remodeling your home while gaining federal tax credits. The seminar was presented by Daniel Salmon of Material Resourcers. Deconstruction is a green alternative that involves the strategic dismantling and salvage of a structures useful materials. Salvaged materials are donated through a local non-profit helping improve our community while keeping useful materials out of the landfill. For the property owner it means lower disposal costs, a significant tax deduction, and doing the right thing. For those of you who were not able to attend you can get the information from the seminar on our resources page under other helpful resources. Deconstruction Seminar

November 10th Event > The Role of Deconstruction Salvage, Recycling and Reusing Daniel Salmon of Material Resourcers Thursday November 10th, 7:00 p.m., Anderson-Foothill Library


Reuse and Recycle.  It’s good for the environment, helps to preserve dwindling natural resources and can provide tax benefits to the homeowner.

Deconstruction Salvage

Are you planning on doing some remodeling?  Deconstruction Salvage is a great way to reuse and recycle.  Learn how you can benefit from this approach in lieu of dumping waste in the landfill all while obtaining federal tax credits.

7:00 – 8:45 pm
Anderson-Foothill Library
1135 S. 2100 East, Salt Lake City, UT  84108

Presented by Daniel Salmon of Material Resourcers

See you there!
Lynn Kennard Pershing, Ph.D.
K.E.E.P. Yalecrest Education Director